Sunday, September 03, 2006

Maher Not Funny and No Joke

Bad Taste and attacking religious beliefs are the flip side of no beliefs at all. I myself had a pistol put to my head for a minute in Beirut in 1975, not for religious reasons, but in a complex situation where religions were a large part of the problem. I don't know if I would have recanted had the demand occurred to foreswear Christianity.

Not much you can say about Maher's remarks about Christianity, but they are obviously a projection of his own mindset and not an indication of what's out there in the US heartland. Down in my neck of the woods, Florida Cracker represents the prevailing vibe. At my old campus hangout in Ann Arbor, Dr. Sanity is surely a minority, although much more intelligent than her DU neighbors at the U. of Mich. The Left Coast mindset represented by Calif natives like Centanni and Maher are bathed in the waters of a river that flows through Egypt.

It's sad when trashing religion makes for good TV, and the Carter appointee on Larry King displays just where that strain of Democrat really comes from. As for me, I have to agree with the Newsbuster readers whose humor is represented thusly:
Bill is far too sophisticated for me, I didn't even smirk. My idea of humor is Dangerfield or Henny Youngman."A man is at the bar, drunk . I pick him up off the floor and offer to take him home. On the way to my car, he falls three times. When I get to his house, I help out of my car, and on the way to the front door, he falls four more times! I ring the bell, and say, "Here's your husband!". The man's wife says, "Where's his wheelchair?".

Noel Sheppard Says:
September 3, 2006 - 13:10

A sandwich walks into a bar, and asks for a scotch on the rocks. The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve food here." ns

balboa Says:
September 3, 2006 - 13:20
What do you call a boomerang that doesn't return?

A stick.

RJ Says:
September 3, 2006 - 14:28
Bill Maher is a pig. He can't become Muslim.

tumbler Says:
September 3, 2006 - 14:30
RJ; that's terrific! We agree on that. And it's devilish keen of you to make the point.

No comments :