Thursday, July 20, 2006

Voinovich Sees the Light

Maverick George Voinovich has become a lot smarter since his teary-eyed weirdness during the Bolton confirmation mess. He strains credibility a bit with "After countless conversations and hours of research into his professional record, I came to the conclusion that the country could do better, and I announced that I would not support the Bolton nomination." As I recall, he looked a bit unprepared and not read-up when he first stated his reservations. But the punchline is what counts:

"Should the president send his renomination to the Senate, I will vote to confirm him, and I call on my Democratic colleagues to keep in mind the current situation in the Middle East and the rest of the world should the Senate have an opportunity to vote. I do not believe the United States, at this dangerous time, can afford to have a U.N. ambassador who does not have Congress's full support."

Better late than never.

No comments :