Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Back from backwoods.

I'm back after a dozen days on Cape Cod, free from phones and PCs and a lot of what nowadays people call the essentials that are really peripheral to what life is truly all about---family and friends.

A new Gallup Poll reading has voters inching their approval rating of Prez GWB back to 40%. I myself am no big fan of many of this administration's hare-brained moves over the last six years, but will begrudge this Bush a limp-wristed salute over keeping US national security front and center on his priority list. Also, his stewardship of the US economy has produced surprising growth over the last few years, and his appointment of Hank Paulson will promote Treasury from its recent backseat status in economic leadership.

Today's horrific news from Mumbai, one of my favorite cities, reminds us that there are insane agendas still at large, even after the Chechen warlord Shamil has been brought to ground. Franchise outlets of Al Qaeda proliferate and the Miami and Holland Tunnel culprits are indications that many more wannabes are trying to kill themselves and us with them.

Today, I had a reunion with an old acquaintance of more than forty years at Boston College campus. As we caught up with each other's lives, I reflected on the sheer dumb luck that enabled me to survive many decades of escapades that actuarially were not recommended for living past sixty. My lovely daughter was with me to remind me of my good fortune, and I thank God for my blessings and pray that she, my family and my friends will all survive far past their alloted threescore and ten. My sainted mother in Wisconsin is approaching her ninetieth birthday in fine fettle. My wife's parents are also thriving in their advanced years. My BC friend is living a rich and productive life well into his seventies and appears to be heading toward celebrating his centenary with full mental and physical powers, God Willing. If I lose a few dozen pounds, I might be able to do the same.

Tomorrow night I will be back in Boca, and perhaps my usual haunts will spur a bit more creativity and less vituperation. However, my curmudgeon gene may not be suppressable and what Jonathan Swift called his saeva indignatio may prevail. Whatever.

Good to be back and God bless us one and all.

Keep praying, and if that doesn't work, make the appropriate attitude adjustments!

No comments :