Saturday, August 26, 2006

Italy: Land of Cheery Dysfunction

La Bella Figura is the name of a book reviewed by the NYT on the Italians. Long ago, I read a book by a famous writer named Barzini called The Italians and learned much reading his deep insights into the Italian character and history. Also, I found reading Pinocchio a good lesson---until my busybody wife took it back to the bookstore behind my back!

Despite being robbed twice by break-ins into my car and also having an auto accident at 3AM in the morning---luckily I was driving Ambassador Volpe's son home at the time---actually the Rome Municpal Police and the Carabinieri arrived simultaneously after a small crowd had gathered to kibitz!---there is something dramatic and comedic about being in that country that makes it my favorite.

No one goes to Italy because the trains run on time.

No comments :