Sunday, December 03, 2006

Florida or Michigan Versus Ohio State in BCS Nat'l Championship

Conflicted am I as I look at the reasons for each team.

I personally grew up a Wisconsin fan in the fifties when Alan Ameche was fullback and Wisconsin kept losing the Rose Bowl when it got there. But the Badgers didn't get there often because Ohio State used to beat them EVERY YEAR. So I exult every time the Buckeyes lose. So get the BEST TEAM in the BCS Championship versus OSU!

And this U. of Michigan grad believes that Michigan actually has a better team than Florida, and I have watched almost all the TV games both teams have played this year, so I have some sort of subjective database. Not by much, and Florida played a tougher schedule, but Michigan may have the better eleven.

That said, I also want the Big Ten to win the Rose Bowl, and I believe Michigan will clean USC's clock, while my old Wisconsin team might succumb to the fast and furious Trojans. And it would be as good a game as the Ohio State/Florida game in the BCS if Michigan played in the Granddaddy of all Bowl games.

But I think Miami got screwed on that end-zone call in the OSU BCS game four years ago when OSU scraped by. And the SEC is a tougher conference than the Big Ten this year. And Florida beat six ranked opponents this year, while Michigan beat powder puff squads like Indiana, Illinois, MSU, Minnesota and Northwestern in-conference. Mich did vaporize Notre Dame and did give OSU the fight of its life on the tricky turf in Columbus, but even the Auburn game, which had a fluke call against Florida, was a very close call despite the 10-point difference in the score.

So Florida, the state and the school, deserves recompense in a way. And the SEC deserves recognition as a kick-ass conference. But the fact remains that I still think Michigan has the slightly better team, and the BCS was inaugurated to get the two best teams in a Nat'l Championship format. Beat the Buckeyes remains my mantra.

All this yadda, yadda obscures the fact that college football this year has been the best that I can remember for terrific games, and the USC/UCLA game yesterday was fantastic, only to be exceeded by the Florida/Arkansas roller-coaster antics!

I wish the NFL was half this exciting!

No comments :